grub-devel

clang appends an extra string to Grub2 making it not work with MBR syste

From: Immolo
Subject: clang appends an extra string to Grub2 making it not work with MBR systems
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 01:15:46 +0000

Using Gentoo with clang on a MBR system I have come across an extra string the content /lib/ld-linux.so.2 is being added to /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/diskboot.img and /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/boot.img taking it over 512 bytes meaning it can't be used on a MBR system.

You can use truncate to remove the extra string then it will install and boot correctly but I am highlighting this here in hopes of a better fix.

Steps to reproduce in Gentoo:

  1. Use a clang stage3 on a MBR system.
  2. emerge -va sys-boot/grub
  3. grub-install /dev/sda

Error:

Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: error: diskboot.img size must be 512 bytes.

Workaround:

1. truncate -s 512 /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/diskboot.img
2. truncate -s 512 /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/boot.img
3. grub-install /dev/sda

I'm not really sure what files I can attach to help debugging this one but if you can think of any please ask for them.