grub-devel

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: grub-2.06 fails to load 64bit Multiboot2 ELF with reg

From: Daniel Kiper
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: grub-2.06 fails to load 64bit Multiboot2 ELF with regions above 4GiB
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 18:05:30 +0200

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 03:10:36PM +0000, Baksik, Fred [USA] wrote:
> That is only true when boot services is enabled.  Which is not always true.
> The OS we are loading does not include the boot services tag.
>
> Also it looks like the 4GiB limit was introduced with support of the 3.1.13
> Relocatable header tag.
> It appears that the extra restriction on non-relocatable images was
> interjected
> as a side effect.

OK, probably it should be done separately. Sorry, my fault. However, if
you do not run GRUB on x86-64 EFI platform how do you want to load the
image above 4 GiB? The Multiboot2 spec clearly states the machine has to
be in 32-bit mode during transition from the bootloader to the kernel.

I think it would be very helpful if you describe your use case in details.

Daniel