grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.12~rc1 released

From: Julian Andres Klode
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.12~rc1 released
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:52:41 +0200

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 06:35:50PM +0200, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The GRUB maintainers are proud to announce the GRUB 2.12~rc1 that has been
> just released.
>
> We would like to thank all the people who have contributed to the project.
>
> The tarball is available at
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1.tar.xz
> and its signature at https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1.tar.xz.sig
>
> Release is signed with the following fingerprint:
>   BE5C 2320 9ACD DACE B20D  B0A2 8C81 89F1 988C 2166
>
> It's also available as a signed grub-2.12-rc1 tag in official git repository.
>
> If you do not have xz support alternatively you may consider file
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1.tar.gz and its signature at
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1.tar.gz.sig
>
> If you want a binary version for Windows (i386-pc, i386-efi and x86_64-efi
> flavors) it is available under
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1-for-windows.zip
> and its signature at
> https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1-for-windows.zip.sig
>
> Translators can use http://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1.pot for
> translation.
> The pot signature is available at
> http://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/grub/grub-2.12~rc1.pot.sig
>
> Please test this release candidate. If we do not spot major issues we are
> going
> to release 2.12 in a month or so.
>
> In the meantime we will be looking mostly at the patches fixing tests and
> documentation posted on grub-devel up until now. If time allows we will also
> be
> looking at the patches which introduces new interesting features which should
> be
> merged after 2.12 official release.

Summary of my experience so far:

- The test changes to error out instead of skipping when not root or
  tools unavailable break distro builds (who wants to build as root?),
  see the other thread.

  I'll probably end up reverting that in the Debian+Ubuntu tree.

- All the tests/iso9660_*.iso.gz files are missing from the tarball,
  hence it is not possible to pass the test suite either way.

- The secure boot fallback on x86 does not work when mokutil
  --disable-validation is used, see my patch.

Apart from that, I was able to rebase the Debian patch set on top of
2.12~rc1, build packages and verify correctness on amd64 qemu.

I patched on our custom peimage relocator/start_image/load_image
implementation to get working secure boot with PE entry points in
the loader (without having to wait for shim support or continuing
with the rhboot patches), currently waiting for review on that
and some minor tweaks needed and then will push to Debian experimental.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en