grub-devel

A question about --removable

From: Oskari Pirhonen
Subject: A question about --removable
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 23:53:28 -0500

Hi,

Recently me and a few others were helping someone in #gentoo on
libera.chat with their Gentoo install. Things were going smoothly up
until rebooting into the fresh installation. Instead of getting GRUB, it
kept booting straight into the UEFI menu. After scratching our heads a
bit, we tried `grub-install --efi-directory=/boot --removable` which
worked. (The default Gentoo installation, if you go by the Handbook,
sets up /boot as the ESP)

I have GRUB installed the "normal way", but I just tried it with that
and it seems to work for me. My machine is a ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 (AMD
version). I don't know what machine the person we were helping with has,
but both use the x86_64-efi target.

Is there a reason `--removable` is not the default behavior? Maybe I'm
missing something, but IMO it would provide a better user experience to
not have to go through the headache of having to figure out that it is
`--removable` which was holding you back.

- Oskari