grub-devel

Severe bug in grub-2.12-for-windows

From: Dave Pickens
Subject: Severe bug in grub-2.12-for-windows
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2023 13:10:47 -0500

Hi,

I am the author of Grub2Win.

In order to generate kernels from a Windows environment, I rely heavily on the Windows version (grub-2.12-for-windows)

In testing, I have discovered that the EFI 64 bit kernel generated by the grub-mkimage.exe module will not boot.
The EFI 32 bit and non EFI i386-pc kernels work well and boot with no problem.

I have submitted bug report #65072 with details, a screenshot and the script used to generate the kernels.
The text of the bug report is shown below.

Any help from you would be greatly appreciated as I would like to include the 2.12 kernels in my software soon.

Many thanks,

Dave Pickens

I am testing the newly released version 2.12.

Using grub-mkimage.exe to create a bootable 64 bit EFI kernel.

When the kernel is loaded at boot time it gives message

symbol '_stack_chk_guard' not found

See the attached screenshot.
Then the kernel aborts.

I was extremely careful when generating the kernel to ensure that the matching libraries were used by the grub-mkimage command.
The libraries and command are all in the same directory, so it is very unlikely that a mismatch occurred.

This bug renders grub-2.12-for-windows useless.
The kernel will not boot.

I have also attached the Windows .bat script I used to generate the kernels.

Note: The 32 bit i386-efi and non EFI i386-pc kernels work fine.
The problem is strictly with the 64 bit x86_64-efi kernel.