grub-devel

Re: Strange failure during de_CH.po generation with make -j

From: Steve McIntyre
Subject: Re: Strange failure during de_CH.po generation with make -j
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:21:52 +0000

Hi!

On Sun, Jan 14, 2024 at 03:58:42PM +0800, Xinhui Yang via Grub-devel wrote:

>Recently we observed a strange failure while packaging GRUB 2.12 for
>our distro. The translation file generation process might fail if
>parallelism was enabled (e.g. `make -j', or with `-j16' and larger
>numbers).
>
>We found that the build always failed whilst generating de_CH
>translation data from de.po, complaining about syntax errors or a
>premature EOF whilst processing the strings. The exact line numbers
>msgfilter complained about were random. If we remove de_CH from
>linguas.sh, the build passes every time, even with parallelism
>enabled - of course, with parallelism disabled, we did not observe
>this issue.
>
>This issue has been reproduced on:
>
>- AOSC OS, the aforementioned distro that I work on.
>- Debian Bookworm.
>
>I propose the following solutions:
>
>- Tell the distro maintainers not to use -j.
>- Patch po/gettext-patches to add a .NOTPARALLEL directive in Makefile.in.in.
>
>We have opted to temporarily disable parallelism in po/Makefile, since we
>could not find the culprit to this issue.

I've seen this before when hacking on the Debian packaging too. IIRC
it's because the po build does not use separated-out build dirs like
the binary builds, and that would the right way to fix this.

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll