grub-devel

Re: State of Argon2 support

From: Nikolaos Chatzikonstantinou
Subject: Re: State of Argon2 support
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 01:23:55 -0500

On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 12:46 AM Nikolaos Chatzikonstantinou
<nchatz314@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 12:05 AM Nikolaos Chatzikonstantinou
> <nchatz314@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 11:58 AM Daniel Kiper <dkiper@net-space.pl> wrote:

> > > If you manage to do that it would be perfect...
> > >
> > > If you have any questions or need help drop me a line.
> >

> > Dear Daniel,
> >
> > Thank you for offering your help, you motivated me to look into this.
> > I would like to ask, where is the libgcrypt source code bundled with
> > grub from? I checked that the files are not from the libgcrypt
> > repository in <git://git.gnupg.org/libgcrypt.git>.
>
> Of course I misused my own tool by using it under the wrong CWD. This works:
>
>     cd grub-core/lib/libgcrypt && find . print0 | gitsearchdigest -C
> /path/to/libgcrypt_repo
>
> With some fiddling via `git log $commit --pretty="tformat:%H %ct" -1`
> and sorting on the unix timestamp I got the libgcrypt commit 897ccd2
> from March of 2016 . I have a decent starting point now.

My apologies for the repeated messages, but I came up with just one
more question that I'm curious about. To summarize my questions:

1. Where is the libgcrypt bundle from grub from? I think my
investigation has led me around version 1.7.0 of libgcrypt, but if I
can get a precise commit or version, that would be useful.

... and now to my new question:

2. What is the reason libgcrypt is bundled as opposed to a regular dependency?

Thank you,
Nikolaos Chatzikonstantinou