Re: Guile is becoming as fast as rep

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: Guile is becoming as fast as rep
Date: 21 Sep 2000 08:53:58 -0400

John Harper <address@hidden> writes:

> |I tried the same benchmark with the current Guile and my VM:
> |
> |      With byte-compile
> |        current rep        5706 (1.0)
> |        Guile with VM      5451 (.96)
>
> Wow, that's really impressive (especially as the rep vm has been around
> longer than yours..)

My VM is still under development, though...
(It lacks module support, exception handling, function inlining, etc.)

> One question: exactly which version of rep did you test against? The
> version I'm releasing shortly (0.13) is about 60% faster than the
> previous version on this benchmark (there was a stupid bug in the
> compiler which affected the inner loop)

I tried the CVS version.  It says "rep version 0.13pre2".

> |      Without byte-compile
> |        current rep         168 (1.0)
> |        current Guile       679 (4.0)
>
> I've not been trying to make interpreted code run fast, so I'm not
> surprised by this..

Why don't you dynamically compile the user input and run it?
I mean I think your repl could be written as something like

  (define (repl)
    (print (vm-exec (compile (read)))))

Your compiler is too slow?  Or your VM does not have debugging
facilities?  Hmm, maybe I should read the source.  Probably
there are something I can steal :)

-- Kei