Re: guile in embedded systems

From: Christian Lynbech
Subject: Re: guile in embedded systems
Date: 28 Sep 2000 16:30:07 +0200

>>>>> "Matthew" == Matthew R Wette <address@hidden> writes:

Matthew> Several years ago I took a stab at porting guile to VxWorks.
Matthew> I gave up after several hours of trying to pull out
Matthew> references to systems calls not supported in vxworks (e.g.,
Matthew> getpwent() is not in VxWorks).

We are currently using Guile for a forthcoming router product, using
it to implement a fairly sophisticated network management framework.

Porting guile to the router environment was no easy task, since the
separation between core scheme elements and UNIX facilities are rather
poor. In fact guile tries rather hard to export all kinds of UNIX
stuff to the scheme level (or at least does so in the somewhat old
versions we are basing our work on).

So it can be done, though we have done very little to structure the
work we have been doing in any way. We have basically just turned off
functionality we didn't need, and implemented UNIX-style compability
libraries for the rest.

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit, Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Fax:   +45 8675 6881       | email: address@hidden
Phone: +45 8675 6828       | web:   www.ericssontelebit.com
                                        - address@hidden (Michael A. Petonic)