guile for lisp set

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: guile for lisp set
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:02:23 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm fairly new guile/scheme, and was wondering if I'm missing a simple
way to implement the Lisp set function in guile.  The only thing I've
been able to come up with is to translate (set foo bar) as

(eval `(set! ,foo bar) (interaction-environment))

Here the info documentation is misleading, giving eval as a function
of one argument.  It also suggests (eval expr) to be equivalent to
(eval2 expr *top-level-lookup-closure*), but in this example I get

guile> (eval2 `(set! ,foo bar) *top-level-lookup-closure*)
ERROR: In procedure apply:
ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1: #<fluid 2>
ABORT: (wrong-type-arg)

eval.c gives scm_eval taking two arguments, an expression and an
environment, and scm_eval2 taking an object and an env_thunk.  Could
someone clarify the distinction between these types, or point me to
the proper place to find out?

Thanks,
Alex