Re: network presence test command

From: Moshe Zadka
Subject: Re: network presence test command
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 14:31:49 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, David Pirotte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> can someone recommand a "guile" command that tells me if the computer on
> which my application runs, (which may be a portable), is connected
> (physically)
> to a network ?

What do you mean "connected to a network"? *Think* before you answer.
If there's an ethernet card, but the hub is down, what do you want it to
answer? If one ethernet card is up and another is down, what do you want
it to answer? If the computer has two ethernet cards connected to each
other via twisted cable, and no other connection, what do you want it to
answer? Etc., etc.

This has nothing to do with guile, but it is generally impossible.
Sorry, but the world is more complex then you think.

(man ping;man ifconfig if you're on a UNIX-like machine)

--
Moshe Zadka <address@hidden> -- 95855124
http://advogato.org/person/moshez