Re: alloca and GC

From: Thomas Wawrzinek
Subject: Re: alloca and GC
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:47:57 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

 > But to get back to your original question: since the malloc-based
 > alloca returns blocks allocated from the heap, which Guile's GC won't
 > scan, your example above won't work with the malloc-based alloca.
 > Since you can't tell which alloca you're using, I'd recommend against
 > it.

Right! I once found that an alloca() implementation wasn't threadsafe (this
was an old GNU implementation under Windoze, but probably not the one
supported in gcc).

Considering the diverse dependencies (compiler, OS), and the resulting
differences in behavior, not to use alloca() seems to be the right thing to
me, too.

Regards,

                        Thomas