Re: emebedding guile line command interpretor

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: emebedding guile line command interpretor
Date: 04 Feb 2001 12:01:48 +0000

    Hilaire> Hi, I want to embed Guile in a C/C++ application,
    Hilaire> DrGenius, bu I also want to embed an interactice guile
    Hilaire> shell in the application.  Of course this shell should
    Hilaire> come with readline, indenting so user doesn't feel to bad
    Hilaire> using it.  A first idea was to make a fork from the
    Hilaire> DrGenius application to start a guile interpretor but
    Hilaire> then I also need some interprocess glue to communicate
    Hilaire> between the two process.  Is there ay other solution or
    Hilaire> possibility or existing implementation example I can look
    Hilaire> at ?

You really need to provide more details of your scenario.

For the moment, though, I'm assuming that DrGenius has a GUI, and the
problem is that you want to accept input at any time either to the
guile shell or to the GUI.

Broadly, you have three options:

1. Run the GUI and the guile shell in different threads, with each
   thread waiting only for its own input.

2. Give control to the guile shell, and write an input port that
   selects for input for both the shell and the GUI.

3. Give control to the GUI, and tell the GUI to check also for input
   for the guile shell (if it supports such function).

So, is this the problem?  If so, what is the GUI written in?  (X, Gtk,
...)

Regards,
        Neil