Re: [Swig] C++ and scheme.

From: Matthias Koeppe
Subject: Re: [Swig] C++ and scheme.
Date: 19 Feb 2001 10:39:29 +0100

address@hidden writes to address@hidden:

>     I have swig working with guile quite nicely, but I have some
> C++ classes what it would like to export using scheme and
> was wondering if there is the ability to do this, and if so, where
> doco / examples could be found to test my setup.
>
> I have checked
> SWIG1.3a5/Examples/C++/
> and the python example compiles ok, but I can not run swig in -guile mode
>
> [@ Python]$ swig -c++ -guile -o cpptest_wrap.c  -I../class -I../typemaps
> -I../../../Lib
> ../interface/cpptest.i
> Generating wrappers for Guile
> ../class/cpptest.H : Line 7. Unable to handle type MyString const &.
[...]
> ../class/cpptest.H : Line 31. Unable to handle type MyString const &.

I believe this happens because the SWIG Guile module doesn't handle
C++ references.  I will check that.

> I presume that the scheme module doesn't handle C++ and
> making smobs from classes?

C++ classes are handled just like C structs, so smobs will be
used to represent instance pointers.

There is no advanced C++ support in the Guile module because I don't
use C++.  If such support is added, one should probably generate GOOPS
classes from the C++ classes, instead of smobs.  Also, since there is
no C API to GOOPS yet, the wrapper code wouldn't be very nice.

--
Matthias Köppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe