Re: install directories

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: install directories
Date: 22 Feb 2001 22:41:20 +0100

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> I've had some experience wrestling with the current system while
> working on g-wrap :>, and I think your proposal fixes nearly all of
> my major concerns.

OK, I'll add (export-all) to Guile and deprecate the old stuff (that
is, it will print warnings and a pointer to a longer description of
what to do instead).

> One concern I have is if you just go with the libguile-MOD-MOD
> approach and guile ever gets a large number of dynamically loadable
> modules, it'll make /usr/lib (or wherever) very unweildy.

It is already, I'd say.  I don't like the way Unix shared libraries
are done at all.

> Oh, and I presume you're already thinking about this, but if not, it
> might be nice to support for multi-file modules at some point.  i.e.:
>
>   (define-module (foo bar))
>   (load-in-module "foo/bar-1")
>   (load-in-module "foo/bar-2")
>   (load-in-module "foo/bar-3")
>
> or similar.

I don't understand what you are referring to exactly, but I think you
can do multi-file modules already.

  (define-module (foo bar))

  (load "bar-1")
  (load "bar-2")
  (load "bar-3")

should do the trick.  `load' does funky things with the filename.  If
that bothers you, use `base-load'.  [`load' is another area that needs
clean up, IMO.]