Re: install directories

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: install directories
Date: 25 Feb 2001 03:02:09 +0100

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> I am not sure whether this is portable among systems, but I think it
> should also be possible to store guile stuff in some subdirectory of
> /usr/lib, say /usr/lib/guile.  You load it with:
>
>   (dynamic-link "guile/<some-lib>.so")
>
> With your proposal, we don't need to make this a policy, since the
> corresponding scheme level loader can use any file name and location
> anyway.  Making it a policy (assuming that is is portable), however,
> can be convenient, for example if we add a line -L/usr/lib/guile to the
> output of 'guile-config link'.

I don't know.  I don't want to specify something too clever, like I
did with the mess that we have right now.  I do not really understand
the fierce shared library eco system, especially when it comes to
platform compatability issues.  Even putting shared libraries in
non-standard locations seems risky to me.

If we can get by with using standard locations, we should.