Re: iff?

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: iff?
Date: 01 May 2001 11:50:38 +0200

thi <address@hidden> writes:

> thanks for the suggestion.  i have added a simple blurb to the reference
> manual.  see guile-core/doc/preface.texi in cvs, or wait a few days for
> propagation to http://www.glug.org/docbits/guile-doc-out/

| For some procedures, notably type predicates, we use "iff" to mean
| "if and only if".  The construct is usually something like: "Return
| VAL iff CONDITION", where VAL is usually "#t" or "non-#f".  This
| typically means that VAL is returned if CONDITION holds, and that #f is
| returned otherwise.

I don't know your documentation conventions, but I would write the
following:

  @cindex iff
  For some procedures, notably type predicates, we use @dfn{iff} to
  mean `if and only if'.  The construct is usually something like:
  `Return @var{Val} iff @var{Condition}', where @var{Val} is usually
  address@hidden' or address@hidden'.  This typically means that @var{Val}
  is returned if @var{Condition} holds, and that @samp{#f} is returned
  otherwise.