Re: I18N/M17N?

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: I18N/M17N?
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 15:06:13 -0400

> From: Masao Uebayashi <address@hidden>
>
> I'm not familiar with such an area (too), but this looks nice to
> me. At least, I feel a bit happiness to see that Guile is not
> destined to UTF-8 as Perl 6 or Python 2.

I am not sure I understood you correctly, but you seem to be
saying you do not like UTF-8.  What is your objection, and
does it apply to all of Unicode, or just UTF-8 encoding?

> > In the long run, Guile is supposed to replace the Emacs Lisp
> > interpreter in Emacs.  For that integration to work in a useful way,
> > Guile strings and Emacs Lisp strings need to be the same objects, and
> > in general, Guile and Emacs should follow the same M17N approach.
>
> Fully agreed.

Semi-agreed.  I don't really know enough about the emacs
approach to make specific suggestions, but I hate to see
a policy of bug compatibility.

> > Or at least, that used to be the consensus.  There are a bunch of (I
> > suspect inevitably) controversial design decisions we made a while
> > back which the current contributors to Guile don't like.  I don't know
> > how that's going to be sorted out.
>
> It would be nice that this consensus is documented somewhere.

I have been subscribed to this list for five or six years.  I don't
really remember a consensus so much as a change of subject.  If a
person from Japan were to write a reasonable description of how things
should be, it might well create a consensus.  Most European-Americans
would probably be satisfied to extend Ascii to eight bit Latin-1
and call it done.

> Hmm, why didn't you mention Mule? Isn't it the consensus that adopting
> Mule's internal encoding to Guile?

Where is the place to learn the details of Mule?

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---