Re: To gh_ or not to gh_?

From: Bobby D. Bryant
Subject: Re: To gh_ or not to gh_?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 17:30:17 +0600

Sam Tregar wrote:

> Hey guys.  I'm working on a Perl interface to Guile called Inline::Guile.
> I've read through all the available documentation and I'm still not sure
> where to start.  The work-in-progress docs strongly recommend the gh_
> functions but most of the available examples use the scm_ functions and
> macros.
>
> Suggestions?

I did a draft set of Guile->Ada bindings back during my winter break (which
I continue to hack on at a slower pace), and I've found that the gh_ stuff
provides most of the basic Scheme functionality, and the limited scope of
gh_ made it very easy to get the necessary traction for getting something
useful working in a finite amount of time.

Also, if you look closely you'll see that some of the gh_ stuff is actually
a *very* thin disguise for the underlying scm_ stuff.

Let's don't pretend I'm an expert, but FWIW I think you'll find that you can
use gh_ for the core of your interface, and then add in some additional scm_
stuff if you want to support more functionality.

Good luck,

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas