Re: uniform-vector?

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: uniform-vector?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:50:23 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Masao Uebayashi wrote:

> I personally think that we should clear up terms for (uniform)
> (multi-dimensional) array. For example, "number of dimension" is
> replaced by a word "rank" which is apparently clearer, concrete, and
> readable. I wonder that an abbrev of 'ndim' throughtly used in the
> source should be all replaced by "rank", but this is simply my guess,
> I still don't know what the programmer(s) intended...

While I am the one who has suggested to you to look into unif.[ch], I am
unfortunately not one who uses that stuff.  My motivation for cleaning
that stuff up is the wasteful use of a number of tc7 type codes by the
uniform vector implementation.  Thus, my personal way of solving that
problem would have been to change the types and hopefully do this in a
semantics preserving way, without knowing what is actually going on in
unif.[ch]/ramap.[ch].

With this said, I encourage you to clean up the variable names and terms
that are used in these files.  Just one note:  We are looking forward to
receive patches, but we are only allowed to apply patches if you sign some
legal papers.  Please contact one of the maintainers (for example Marius
or Mikael) for details.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann