Re: 1.6 and pthreads [Re: Why doesn't gh_enter() return?]

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: 1.6 and pthreads [Re: Why doesn't gh_enter() return?]
Date: 13 May 2001 19:21:44 +0300

Alejandro Forero Cuervo <address@hidden> writes:

>     nothing prevents you from using Guile in a pthread application,
>     provided that you call into Guile from no more than one thread
>     simultaneously.
>
> Simultaneously?

eeek.

I was talking nonsense.

you have to use Guile from one thread only.

> Btw, gh_eval and gh_eval_str are reentrant, right?  If I call gh_eval,
> and it happens to call my C code, I am allowed to call gh_eval there,
> right?

yes.  the Guile evaluator is reentrant.

> If so, are any functions there not reentrant?

which ways of reentering apart from via calling `eval' are you
thinking of?

> Any plans of making it possible to call it from multiple threads
> simultaneously?  I'm afraid that would be required for my pthreaded
> application server... :/

the pthread support is being worked on.  it probably won't make in
into the 1.6 release.

perhaps the coop-threads support would be enough for you needs?  it
should coexist with pthreads just fine.

sorry for the previous nonsense, as well as any subsequent one,
--mike

--
Every program is a part of some other program and rarely fits.
                -- Alan Perlis