Re: To gh_ or not to gh_?

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Re: To gh_ or not to gh_?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:22:36 +0200

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 03:10:11PM -0500, Rob Browning wrote:
: Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
: > That's a strange assertion.  Why do you say this?
:
: Maybe he means they should always be hidden behind a C api?  In

Yes, that's what I meant.  If you use opaque datatypes and access methods
you will generally have a more stable interface (easy to maintain binary
compatibility compared to when exposing internals).  If you check out the
libtool manual, there are some useful hints related to deciding on library
interfaces.  I'd add some points to the list though (like writing your
interfaces in a "functional" way so you can translate them to scheme without
using call-with-values :).

  Lars J