module related problem

From: David Pirotte
Subject: module related problem
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 10:51:54 +0200

Hi,

I still don't understand  the module system, or why it behaves in a
different manner wether we execute a guile script, or wether we do it
from a guile listener:

my module is defined as follow:

        (define-module (alto pays)
          ;; from distribution
          :use-module (oop goops)
          :use-module (ice-9 format)
          :use-module (gtk gtk)

          ;; from alto
          :use-module (alto gtk-utils)
          :use-module
          :use-module (alto db-pays)
          )

        address@hidden:~/alto/projects/guile/share/alto 3 $ guile
        guile> (use-modules (alto pays))
        guile> (pays-gui/gui (db-objects *db-pays/db-object*))
        standard input:2:15: In expression (db-objects *db-pays/db-object*):
        standard input:2:15: Unbound variable: db-objects
        ABORT: (unbound-variable)
        Type "(backtrace)" to get more information or "(debug)" to enter the
debugger.
        guile>
???
db-objects is defined (and exported) in (alto db-pays) itself using
db-utils), ???

        so far, I always have to type every (use-modules (... ...)) of which
        i want to use exported symbol(s), despite the module definition

so here, if I do

        guile> (use-modules (alto db-pays))
        guile> (use-modules (oop goops))
        guile> ...