Re: Using guile together with other GC languages?

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: Using guile together with other GC languages?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:24:04 -0400

> Cc: <address@hidden>
> From: Michael Livshin <address@hidden>
>
> Johan Georg GranstrΦm <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Assume that I want to write a program in a combination of
> > Guile, C, [Other GC language like SmallEiffel or Smalltalk].
> > Then I would like Guile and SmallXXX to allocate memory
> > on the same heap, is this possible to do in some way (from the
> > Guile perspective)?

> I'm not sure why you would want Guile and X to allocate on the same
> heap.  this, of course, is not possible, but I think this is not
> needed either.

Define "same heap".  Guile gets free storage from 'malloc',
same as most other C programs.

> and yes, Guile's GC is supposed to coexist nicely with other memory
> management schemes in the same process.

But whether it actually works is sure to depend upon exactly
what SmallXXX is doing.  I think the question can not be
answered without a lot more details.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>