No gh_set_x()?

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: No gh_set_x()?
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:32:44 -0400 (EDT)

Hey guys.  I'm working on a Perl binding for Guile and I've run into a
problem - I need a gh_set_x() but it doesn't seem to exist.  I'm working
on overloading the special "+=" type arithmetic on the Perl side and I
need to set the left-hand SCM to the value produced by the addition.

After realizing that cmet_x() doesn't exist I tried:

   gh_call2(gh_lookup("set!"), ...)

But that failed with:

   ERROR: In procedure apply:
   ERROR: Wrong type argument in position 1: #<primitive-macro! set!>

Hm.  Can some Guile-guru weigh in with an alternate solution?

-sam