Re: Gurus? Care to re-explain the absense of gh_set_x() for me?

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Gurus? Care to re-explain the absense of gh_set_x() for me?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:53:37 +0200

> From: Sam Tregar <address@hidden>
> Sender: address@hidden
>
> Anyone?

Well, Guru...  I'll try anyway...

I don't know why there is no gh_set_x, but I suppose it's because for
top-level variables, gh_define does the thing, and for local (lexical)
variables it does not make sense, as local variables are supposed to
be encapsulated and not the be modified from some piece of C code
which does not close over them.

But maybe someone was just too lazy for doing it.

Is there a particular reason you need this type of functionality?

And please note:

- gh_define is broken wrt the module system.

- The GH interface is supposed to go away in a few versions of Guile.
  It does not give much advantage over the SCM interface, but
  duplicates a lot of work and interfaces.

HTH,
  'martin