Re: Gurus? Care to re-explain the absense of gh_set_x() for me?

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: Re: Gurus? Care to re-explain the absense of gh_set_x() for me?
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 02:01:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Martin Grabmueller wrote:

> Is there a particular reason you need this type of functionality?

Yes.  I need to implement "+=" type operators to work on SCMs.  These SCMs
might or might not be bound at the top-level when the operator is called.
I see no easy way to determine if they are since I have no way to scan the
top-level defines.

Simple put, how can I implement this call in C:

   (+= a 10)

My attempt was something like this in C:

   (set! a (+ a 10))

But since there's no (gh|scm)_set_x in Guile, I'm stuck.

> - The GH interface is supposed to go away in a few versions of Guile.
>   It does not give much advantage over the SCM interface, but
>   duplicates a lot of work and interfaces.

So noted.  I read the transition docs and determined that now is not the
time to switch.  If the 1.4->1.6 timeline is any guide I'm sure I'll have
plenty of time till I have to!

-sam