ANNOUNCEMENT: Guile and Inline::Guile 0.001 Released!

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Guile and Inline::Guile 0.001 Released!
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 15:10:39 -0400 (EDT)

Two new Perl modules are on their way to CPAN:

  Guile - Perl interface to the GNU Guile Scheme interpreter

  Inline::Guile - Inline module for the GNU Guile Scheme interpreter

DESCRIPTION

These modules provides an interface to the GNU Guile system.  You can
find out more about Guile at:

   http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/guile.html.

Guile is an interpreter for the Scheme programming language.  "Scheme
is a statically scoped and properly tail-recursive dialect of the Lisp
programming language invented by Guy Lewis Steele Jr. and Gerald Jay
Sussman."  You can find this quote in the language definition for
Scheme here:

   http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/r5rs_toc.html

The Inline::Guile module allows you to add blocks of Scheme code to
your Perl scripts and modules.  Any procedures you define in your
Scheme code will be available in Perl.  See the Inline module's
documentation for more details about the Inline interface.

AVAILABILITY

The modules will soon be available on CPAN.  Until then, you can get
them from:

   http://pause.perl.org/pub/PAUSE/authors/id/S/SA/SAMTREGAR/Guile-0.001.tar.gz

http://pause.perl.org/pub/PAUSE/authors/id/S/SA/SAMTREGAR/Inline-Guile-0.001.tar.gz

DEPENDENCIES

This module has two rather aggressive requirements:

  1) Perl 5.6.1+

  I'll eventually test against older Perl versions but for now I'm
  only working with the latest and greatest.

  2) Guile 1.5.0+

  At the time of this writing Guile 1.5.0 hasn't even been released
  yet.  You can only get it from CVS.  Details can be found at:

     http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/anon-cvs.html

  I don't think my module will ever work with older Guile versions.