Re: guile-1.4 and GOOPS

From: tomas
Subject: Re: guile-1.4 and GOOPS
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 07:38:12 +0200

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:48:51PM +0200, Dirk Herrmann wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 address@hidden wrote:
>
> > So, changing scm_tc16_big{neg,pos} to scm_tc16_big in goops.c
> > seems to fix it. The main problem seems to be to find a
> > maintained version of GOOPS for the curren 1.4
>
> May I suggest you rather try the CVS version of guile?  There, goops is
> already integrated and you don't need to install a separate
> package.  That's btw. the reason you don't find any maintained goops
> packages these days.

Thanks, and sorry for being so late in reply.

So your suggestion is basically ``ditch 1.4 and go for unstable''.

Is there any interest on maintaining the stable version (then I would
send in patches) -- or is the general consensus that 1.6 is so imminent
that it's not worth it?

You see, for a newcomer it makes life hard. On the one hand, (s)he would
go for stable, on the other, many interesting things (like (net http))
want GOOPS -- oops ;-)

I'd (humbly) propose either

(a) try to fix 1.4 or

(b) state that 1.4 is quicly fading out and advise people to go for
    1.6

But (a) has a point, since (as has been stated in another thread)
1.5.xx is still considered too hot to go into distributions.

What shall I do? If you go for (a), I'll be happy to stick to 1.4
and send in patches as well as I can (I've got things running now,
sort of: see my coming post about (net http)).

BTW, thanks for your great work on GUile.

Regards
-- tomas