Re: guile-1.4 and GOOPS

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Re: guile-1.4 and GOOPS
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:55:39 +0200 (MEST)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 address@hidden wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 09:48:51PM +0200, Dirk Herrmann wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 address@hidden wrote:
> >
> > > So, changing scm_tc16_big{neg,pos} to scm_tc16_big in goops.c
> > > seems to fix it. The main problem seems to be to find a
> > > maintained version of GOOPS for the curren 1.4
> >
> > May I suggest you rather try the CVS version of guile?  There, goops is
> > already integrated and you don't need to install a separate
> > package.  That's btw. the reason you don't find any maintained goops
> > packages these days.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for being so late in reply.
>
> So your suggestion is basically ``ditch 1.4 and go for unstable''.

Exactly.

> Is there any interest on maintaining the stable version (then I would
> send in patches) -- or is the general consensus that 1.6 is so imminent
> that it's not worth it?

The latter is true.

> (a) try to fix 1.4 or

1.4 is just too old.  In future, it will be easier to maintain the stable
version, since we are now using development branches.  It goes along with
the new versioning system.  But, since no update releases to 1.4 will be
made, it is no use to submit patches for such a thing.

In any case, 1.6 is really close.  Even if there should be some bugs, you
can assume that no user visible changes to the interface are likely to
happen.  Thus, again, I'd say go for the CVS version of the upcoming 1.6
release.

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann