Re: Multi-language cookbook effort

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Multi-language cookbook effort
Date: 19 Aug 2001 18:24:13 +0100

    Alex> Yes, I was one of the people interested in the cookbook
    Alex> recently and would still like to see this happen.  Of
    Alex> course, the Perl Cookbook asks questions and solves problems
    Alex> that Perl is specifically designed for, and a Guile Cookbook
    Alex> would likely want to include other sorts of problems, but
    Alex> PLEAC seems like a good start and a way to keep focused.

Agreed on all points.

    Alex> Attached is a transliteration of chapter 1 (everything but
    Alex> psgrep).  Most of the earlier discussions revolved around
    Alex> chapters 7 & 8, so that should be quick to put together too.
    Alex> I've tried to do this in the style of the Perl Cookbook -
    Alex> give the most basic Scheme way to do things, and then
    Alex> mention external modules and SRFI's where useful.  Naturally
    Alex> there's heavy emphasis on SRFI-13.

Wow - quick work!

    Alex> Anyone else interested?  Should we set up a list?

I think the best thing would be for interested people to join the
pleac-discuss list, and use that for discussion, and to coordinate
translating the rest of the examples.  See
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/pleac-discuss for how to
subscribe.

Do you agree?  If so, I think that we should then announce (i) the
general intention to provide a Guile version of the examples, and (ii)
your translations in particular.

        Neil