Re: Efficiency and flexibility of hash-tables

From: Roland Orre
Subject: Re: Efficiency and flexibility of hash-tables
Date: 08 Feb 2003 14:57:58 +0100

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 12:00, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When declaring a hash table using
>
>       (define H (make-hash-table 100))
No, the hash table is a vector of entries to lists where the actual
information is stored. A hash table in guile can therefore contain
any number of items. The number of entries is merely a choice of what
performance you need. If you declare too few entries you will get
a lot of linear search through the lists from each entry.
I myself use to estimate it so that the lists will rarely be deeper
than two or three to get a reasonable performance.

The performance is also reflected upon the hash function versus the
vector length. Usually it is advisable to use a prime number to avoid
systematic hashing to the same entries. Sometime it happened I missed
this and sloppily declared the hash table length to e.g. 1000000 if
needing about 3000000 items. The run took several hours instead of
the expected half an hour, which I got when changing the length to
1000003. If you have access to some mathematical package like maple
there is often a function nextprime which can be helpful.

Usually the built-in hash functions works fine but you may also
consider making a special hash functions for special needs if
the built-in function doesn't spread good enough.

        Best regards
        Roland Orre