Re: Efficiency and flexibility of hash-tables

From: Roland Orre
Subject: Re: Efficiency and flexibility of hash-tables
Date: 08 Feb 2003 16:44:37 +0100

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 16:14, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> So does there exist an adaptive-number-of-slots solution in guile?
> If I understand you well, this is certainly not the case for
> the standard implementation... :^(((

Hmm :) When you asked, I took a look at my old code and, yes I almost
have such a solution which I made a few years ago (which actually seems
to be used quite often in my "standard" code). It uses a predefined
list of prime numbers and calculates a reasonable hash table size
from the inital assumption of number of items, but at a closer look
it seems that I didn't implement the resizing/reshuffling part, and
it's also quite hard tied to my application at the moment, but I'll
take a look at it and try to extract something useful.

But, anyone, who may have sometime similar. Don't wait for me!

(even though I need all kind of excuses to distract me from writing
 on what I should do at the moment :)

        Best regards
        Roland