Re: (load) Question

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: (load) Question
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:35:50 +0100

Egil Moeller <address@hidden> writes:

> What is the retun-value of a function? A function might contain multiple
> definitions and expressions, too. The value is the value of the last one.
> Why not have the same deifinition for load? And if there are not
> expressions, then, just let the value returned be undefined or whatever.
> As (load) is defined in teh standard to return an undefined value, this
> could very well be specified as an extenssion, without breaking the
> standard.

In Guile, we try to return #<unspecified> in cases where the standard
defines the result as unspecified.  The reason is that Guile wants to
encourage people to write portable Scheme code.

> Perheaps as an SRFI?

You'd be most welcome to submit an SRFI.  I'd guess you'd have a hard
time with this one, though...

If many application writers find this behaviour useful, I suggest
*some* function with this behaviour is supplied in a Guile module.

Best regards,
Mikael D.