Re: Announcement: dmd -0.7

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Announcement: dmd -0.7
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:04:59 +0200

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 07:40:20PM +0200, Wolfgang Jaehrling wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:11:43AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> > Hey! you stole my idea ;-)
>
> The idea of a service manager that works with dependencies and
> conflicts is an idea which many people had so far, independend from
> each other.  However, I never had this idea myself, I am just
> implementing it.  The idea of using an `extension' language in the
> service manager a) is somewhat obvious, since you need
> service-specific code anyway, though usually people make the mistake
> of using /bin/sh for that purpose  b) is not an idea I had either - I
> used Guile simply because it makes developing just so much easier and
> more fun.

In hindsight, many good ideas are obvious. Besides, my sentence above
was rather a way of expressing my joy that someone (you) is actually
doing it.

> I did not mention any features, actually. :-)
>
> (define features-of-dmd
[dependencies, conflicts, respawning]
[command line tool]
[Guile]
[save state]

Very cool. It seems we are back to the power of inittab with the
flexibility of /etc/init.d. Plus dependencies, etc.

Actually, yesterday my colleague Ralf downloaded it and kept
praising the features, so by now I already know :-)

Thanks
-- tomas