Re: Low level things in C or Scheme [was Stupid module and pregexp quest

From: Thamer Al-Harbash
Subject: Re: Low level things in C or Scheme [was Stupid module and pregexp questions]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:35:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> Of course, if we can have our cake and eat it, I'm all for it, but I'm
> comfortable with the idea of a layered system where you do the low-level
> things in one language and the high-level things in another. It correlates
> quite well with the layering of software and thus feels (to me) very
> natural.

It's funny you should talk about layering. I've recently started
writing a project at work (or re-writing for the Nth time thanks
to changes being requested), and I chose doing the high level
work in guile just so I could say "ok done," and get back to more
important things.

The funny thing is, thanks to guile's seamless use of arbitrarily
big numbers (its numerical tower), I don't know if I *want* to do
my number crunching in C anymore. This project is slowly becoming
100% scheme as I remove the final bits of C from it.

I have not noticed any significant penalty in performance.

--
Thamer Al-Harbash            http://www.whitefang.com/
        (if (> pressure too-much-pressure)