memory costs of storing lambdas?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: memory costs of storing lambdas?
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:06:39 +0200

(please CC replies, I'm not subscribed to guile-user)

Hi there,

I have a small question: I was wondering how much memory it costs to
store an anonymous function.  I have to make choices between storing
various entities in lilypond either as a function, or as an
expression.

The following fictional example illustrates the distinction (#
introduces in-line Scheme in Lilypond syntax):

1. using anon functions:

  (define (style-setter style)
    (lambda (head) (set-note-head-style head style)))

  \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'style-procedure
    = #(style-setter "cross")

During the lilypond run, the anonymous function is called. Storage
cost: one anonymous function

2. using expressions

  \property Voice.NoteHead \set #'style-expression
    = #(list set-note-head-style "cross")

During the lilypond-run, a note-head pointer is prepended to the
argument list, and the list (set-note-head-style head style) is
evaluated.

Storage cost: a list of length 2.

I have the feeling that solution 1. is more expensive in terms of
memory than solution 2. My question: is this true, and how could I
have found out this answer myself? (i.e. where is the related
interpreter code?)

Thanks,

Han-Wen

--