Re: Around again, and docs lead role

From: rm
Subject: Re: Around again, and docs lead role
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 13:34:03 +0200

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 10:40:12PM -0600, Robert Uhl wrote:
> Ricard Mira <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > IMHO, the overall organization of the documentation isn't clear.
>
> My own problem has been a feeling that it's not complete.  At least,
> trying to figure out the C bindings has been...interesting.

I had similar experiences. The existing documentation *is* very good,
but i was astonished to find a few undocumentes jewels (well, actually
pretty neccessary stuff:) in  the header files ...
I started writing up some info last night but i'm not shure whether
the lack of documentation actually manifests some public vs. private
API issue.

>                                                             But other
> than that it's been decent.  Of course, I did have to learn Scheme from
> SICP; it'd be nice were there an intro to Scheme itself somewhere.

Hmm, there a a handfull of pretty good Scheme intros available, why
bother duplicating these efforts (better: write a Guile-specific addendum
for one of these).

> > Also, I believe that "Part V: Guile Modules" should disappear, because
> > features should be documented according to their functionality, not
> > according to their origin or implementation (SLIB, SRFIs, etc.).
>
> OTOH, it's nice to know what's part of guile itself and what's not, at
> least to some of us.  Could go either way, I guess.

Yes. And it would be _very_ helpfull if the documentation would mention
what modules need to be "used" for certain functions [(ice-9 regexp) for
regular expressions ...).

Another question: there's some very good information in the guile-workbook
CVS module. But sometimes it's hard to tell whether a piece is documenting
an existing fact of Guile or rather proposing a new impementation.

 Ralf Mattes