Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Stupid module and pregexp questions
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 00:11:06 -0500

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> I have some experience in regexp implementation, so may I offer my
> $0.02?

Much appreciated, in fact.

My feeling is that having a sophisticated and potentially fast system
like the one you have described could be quite valuable, but I think
it may still be useful to many people to have built-in support for a
well known regular expression syntax as well, perhaps perl (via
libpcre), elisp, or POSIX.  This would afford a standard syntax that
many people are already familiar with, and one that's fast enough for
a substantial number of jobs.

With respect to which syntax we might choose, I don't really have a
strong preference for one or the other, but my default inclination
might be libpcre since it's the syntax that both perl and python
support and since the author has offered to let us use the source.

In any case, thanks for all the information.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu