Re: GNU/MIT Scheme?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: GNU/MIT Scheme?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 22:07:46 -0000

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> wrote:
> This, of course, depends on the total sum of your needs.  If you want
> to publish "pure" R5RS Scheme software and the architectures which
> GNU/MIT Scheme supports are enough for you, GNU/MIT Scheme might very
> well be a good choice.

I'm not sure that GNU/MIT Scheme has enough interfaces to other parts
of GNU, or other libraries to be quite as useful, but it's hard to tell.

> (But you might find some Guile facilities such as the module system [...]

No, I find the Guile module system and most other general things only
accessible through non-portable interfaces an obstruction.  The same is
true of most other scheme implementations, though.

[...]
> As Greg said, GNU/MIT Scheme and Guile has different goals and
> different roles.  GNU/MIT Scheme is an implementation of Scheme, while
> Guile is an extension and scripting language.

...but Guile is an implementation of Scheme, and GNU/MIT Scheme is a
scripting language (whatever that means today).  The only difference
seems to be the FFI and libguile.  Is MIT Scheme coming to GNU the
first step towards a merge?

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://address@hidden