Re: posix/native thread status?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: posix/native thread status?
Date: 09 Jun 2003 22:32:02 +0200

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been poking around the guile threading stuff. Am I right in
> thinking the work on native threads stopped.

No, it is merely, well, blocked.  But because of unfair work
scheduling, it is getting unblocked for quite some time.

The Guile CVS HEAD version (aka the 1.7 series) has supprt for native
POSIX threads.  While threads are in 'Guile mode', they are restricted
to cooperate their use of the global resources (such as the GC), but
they are implemented using the POSIX threading API of the underlying
platform.

> Linux threads have been made posix compliant for kernel 2.6. Would
> the issue of native threading be good to look at again?

Yes, please try the Guile 1.7 series, maybe from

ftp://ftp.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/pub/guile/snapshots/guile-core.unstable.tar.gz