Re: libxml2 bindings

From: Nic
Subject: Re: libxml2 bindings
Date: 31 Jul 2003 21:17:23 +0100

address@hidden
 writes:

> I personally don't think a parser/serializer for a markup language
> belongs into the core of a programming language (but i guess i'm
> getting old :-)

But guile is an extension language. The more it can do out of the box
the better (IMHO).

> One issue not to underestimate is the licence clash: libxml2 is
> distributed under an MIT licence, GUILE has a modified (?) LGPL.
> I'd hate to have a dual language core (wasn't there a recent
> approach to even get rid of the LGPL modifications?).

I hope not. The reason for the Guile exception (which btw is against
the GPL and not the LGPL) is that Guile is an extension language and
GNU wants to encourage not restrict it's use. The exception ONLY
allows linking libguile with non-free programs, it does not change
the terms on the Guile source code.

> P.S.: any code to look at?

I need to get the code somewhere, I could send you a tarball if you
want one. Just email me if you do.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk