Re: apt based package dist for guile?

From: Nic
Subject: Re: apt based package dist for guile?
Date: 05 Aug 2003 21:48:59 +0100

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> address@hidden wrote:
> > The one tempting thing about CPAN (and apt, here's where they meet)
> > is the simple, unified build/install process -- either 'apt-get install
> > foo'
> > or CPAN's 'download / perl Makefile.PL / make / make install' process.
>
> Perl's MakeMaker means that the build system for a Perl module is the
> same as that of other Perl modules, but it's gratuitously different
> from that of all other packages.  There's no reason that a package's
> build system should be based on the fact that it happens to be an
> extension of a particular scripting language.  It's better to stick
> with an existing build system that people already know (e.g.,
> autoconf, or whatever you would normally use for anything else).  It
> makes sense to put together some rules (m4 macros for autoconf, or
> whatever) that can be reused for all modules for a particular
> scripting language, but there's no reason to stick the installing user
> with a different interface.

Are you saying people don't understand apt/rpm/etc...?

The thing that I was advocating about APT was the command line access
to a directory of "packages". A common directory for tarballs would
be a first step forward because we could write some nice tools to
front end it.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk