Re: apt based package dist for guile?

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: apt based package dist for guile?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:02:34 -0400

Thamer Al-Harbash <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Paul Jarc wrote:
>> Ideally, this would be integrated with slashpackage:
>> <URL:http://cr.yp.to/slashpackage.html>
>
> The problem with slashpackage, although it's a great idea, is
> that it ships to be used in a specific directory.

That property is a problem only aesthetically.  On technical grounds,
it's a major win.  When there is more than one possible location for a
file, there is a risk of finding the wrong file, etc.
<URL:http://cr.yp.to/slashpackage/studies.html>

> Symlinking tricks aside, there are enough people who don't want a
> /package directory and that makes the adoption of slashpackage very
> slow.

Yes, it will be slow.  But hopefully, in time its advantages will be
better understood, and people will develop different aesthetic tastes.

> DJB created an alternate universe as opposed to a flexible set
> of tools.

It's "alternate" in the sense of being different, but you aren't
forced to reorganize your whole system if you just want to install one
slashpackage-oriented package.  And FWIW, the tools I've created to
work with /package will also work with any path whose contents play by
the same rules: <URL:http://multivac.cwru.edu./sptools/>

paul