ITLA (was Re: Arch and Guile)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: ITLA (was Re: Arch and Guile)
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:04:02 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden>

    > Using Arch would also make stuff easier for the "mainstream" Guile
    > developers to maintain their stable and development branches: They
    > could have an guile--fixes--1.6 branch, wich they'd simple star-merge
    > into HEAD.

Should work in this area start to take place, please let me know if I
can help in any way.

    > I'm not totally clear what you mean here, and how that relates to an
    > Arch<->CVS gateway. Anyway, you might be interested in my ITLA
    > thingy[0].

You appear to have left out the footnote.

I'd like to point out some info about the ITLA idea.  ITLA is not, at
it's core, tla specific -- it's a generic engine for making
interactive Scheme programs, both CLI and GUI.

See:

     http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2003-11/msg00291.html

Particularly the section "How it Would Work" which begins:

  * How it Would Work

    ITLA would be written as an "extensible shell".

    Most likely, especially since arch is a GNU project, in Guile.
    SCSH, MzScheme, and Systas Scheme are other possibilities.

    It's architecture would somewhat resemble Emacs' in the following

The ITLA framework is one of the target applications for Pika Scheme
but it will be a long time before Pika is ready to start implementing
it.   There's no reason not to start on the framework earlier, using
Guile (and many good reasons to do so).

-t