Re: Archive of library modules for Guile

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Archive of library modules for Guile
Date: 04 Mar 2004 20:49:48 +0000

Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Neil: I looked at the page http://www.ossau.uklinux.net/guile/ and I
>   think there is some general use code there. If you don't have
>   something against it, i'll reap what I consider useful, and toss it
>   along with the guile-library-0.1 tarball into a an Arch archive for
>   public consumption and hacking. I'll announce the availability to
>   guile-user when ready.

Please do!  Please also keep me in touch with what I need to do to
join in the hacking - I'm not yet familiar with Arch, but what I'm
hearing sounds fun.  It's possible that I have more up to date
versions of some of the bits that accessible from my web page, but I
can sort that out later as a way of getting myself used to the system.

> ttn: I think it would be cool if the glug people could branch off this
>   archive and add their general-use code to their branches. I'll then
>   happily merge this code back in. Detailed instructions on how this
>   would happen will be provided with the archive
>   announcement. Thoughts? ]
>
> And finally: what is the general feeling about such an archive among
> the Guile user (and developer) community?

I've been wondering about (the hypothetical) GUMM again recently, and
having difficulty working out what GUMM would buy us that we can't get
just by maintaining a set of Debian packages.  The Debian approach
would automatically give us a central repository, mirrors, and
dependency tracking.  (What do things like CPAN provide beyond
Debian-like packages? - and sorry for being lazy by not going to look
for myself)

It may be that the key to a good GUMM is not so much distribution as
hackability - in which case your Arch archive might be just what we
need.  Definitely worth a go, anyway.

        Neil