Re: mkpimmc and friends

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: mkpimmc and friends
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:32:24 +0100

   From: Ian Zimmerman <address@hidden>
   Date: 22 Mar 2004 10:16:32 -0800

   I am confused about guile versions.  I have installed 1.6 thinking it
   was the latest stable one.  If features are still being added to 1.4,
   what is 1.5 and 1.6 for?

i "cvs update" from 1.6 (and from HEAD, fwiw) every once in a while to
see if interesting bugfixes, documentation and new features show up (the
cvs commits mailing list seems to have been suspended indefinitely since
savannah was cracked a few months ago), and update 1.4.x w/ the tasty
bits that i find, when i find time to do so.

other people accept those versions as-is for their own reasons.  i don't
speak for them, although strangely enough, sometimes they like to speak
for me.  it can be very confusing at first glance, i agree.  best thing
to do is figure out what features you like and then find and/or build
the system that supports those features.  version numbers are labels,
useful at times but subject to misapplication and misinterpretation.
likewise the word "stable".  perhaps you know all this already.

thi