Re: Packaging a guile-enabled binary

From: Paul Emsley
Subject: Re: Packaging a guile-enabled binary
Date: 04 May 2004 13:07:34 +0100

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 21:21, Mike Gran wrote:
> I'm putting together a little graphical program whose deliverable
> consists of a standard Linux binary (compiled C code) and a single
> Guile script.  The binary is the main executable.  The Guile script
> contains some configuration information, like a dot file, and some
> high-level functions that are called by the C code.  The compiled
> binary requires the script to run successfully.
>
> Where's the best place for the Guile script? Best, in this case, means
> most foolproof for the the desktop user that is going to download the
> program as a pre-compiled package.  Dot file?  In the library?  Is
> there a "right" way or a "standard"?

Presuming you are using GNU Autotools:
I'd use put them in $(pkgdatadir) or $(pkgdatadir)/scheme.
$(pkgdatadir) will expand to something like /usr/local/share/my-prog.

I'd give gcc the extra argument:

        -DPKGDATADIR='"$(pkgdatadir)"'

so that you can use PKGDATADIR in your c code to (for example) stat the
scheme file (PKGDATADIR is just the directory, of course).

Paul.

p.s. GNU's not Linux.