The TTN dilemma (was Re: guile-www)

From: Thamer Al-Harbash
Subject: The TTN dilemma (was Re: guile-www)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:26:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Chris Hall wrote:

> Oh, really?  Could you tell me a bit more about this?

Sure. I'm hoping it will solicit a larger response from the guile
community on what can be done about this.

Some time ago, I found that guile-www from the savannah
distribution had a small bug with optional arguments. You can
probably find my patch in the guile-bugs archive. I received two
something else. Marius also asked TTN to stop representing his
fork as the official one.

Basically if you get modules from TTN they may not work with the
GNU guile distribution, an example is guile-sdl. The response
from TTN is to get the 'other' guile to work with his code and
the response from the guile developers hasn't been vocal enough
for me to understand.

There was an attempt to merge the code bases by someone on the
list. No idea where it went.

My personal opinion on this is that TTN ought to use his
productivity to further guile development and not splinter it
like he's doing now.

Unfortunately the Free Software licenses can only promote
cooperation. They can't force it.

--
Thamer Al-Harbash
GPG Key fingerprint: D7F3 1E3B F329 8DD5 FAE3  03B1 A663 E359 D686 AA1F