Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Some introductory docs about C level threading
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 13:17:24 +0100

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we have to assume all threads see memory ops in the order
> they're done (anything else is too crazy),

Why?  I think it is very common to have weakly ordered memory models
in SMP systems these days, and we really can't assume a strong order.
I also think we can tolerate such a weak ordering, in the sense that
Guile remains 'thread-robust', i.e., doesn't corrupt its own heap such
that the GC will crash, for example.

Whether the heap remains in a state that makes sense to the
application, well, that problem is not solved by Guile automatically.